fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be

Go down 
+21
nelds
shippy666
jim-uk16
mark-1vw
BenxK
todd
Pistacheuro
Lupton_20vt
tomstanforster
CustomChris
69rat
billybug
hoopster
Tiz
caddyman
bridgedubber
MK1G60
VW Mike
CaddyRage
matty_mk1
curtis_caddy
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

Male Number of posts : 3070
Drives : mk2 driver
Registration date : 2008-02-03

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be Empty
PostSubject: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyTue Sep 06 2011, 14:47

thought its about time to start a build thread, got teh mk2 after a fair hunt over a month ago now. intention was to slap it all together ready for edition38 show. ended up getting the car to close to the show and not enough time to make the car i wanted and didnt want to rush it.

have a mk4 gt tdi currently, great dailey but doesnt have that nice old feel like the mk1s and 2s ive had, so thought ide make the best of both, good mpg and power and the older feel, plus im starting to get nice and busy with doing the wheel refurb and getting the new buissness under going i done like carting wheels around inside the mk4 and plopping loads of parts and tools on the seats.

so basic outline of the build, cleanish shell, with mtdi engine (tdi running a manual pump, td) t3 turbo. everything new, and painted/powdercaoted. nice interior with a stripped out rear so i can pick wheels up and drop them off to customers, home brew motorsport poopfer, cable change mk3 tdi gearbox, bigger stoppers, oem wheels with a healthy slam.

so for starters heres the car, originaly a small bumper and had big bumpers put on it, so will be going back to small bumpers in the end when it goes back together
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0669-3
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0670-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0667-1

so, the plans changed after the car not going to edition, game upped a fair bit and time todo it the propper way. so, the tdi lump was completely stripped out, pistons out, crack etc. then went off to cambridge rebores, rehoned, crack polished and engine cleaned inside and out, new rings and all the bearings purchased ready for rebuild.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0664-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0665-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0666

minty fresh starting point
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0772
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0765-1

onto the block, all the gunk inside and out had been stripped, so took the rust etc off teh black and heat painted it
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0775

painted
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0781-1

so with a nice clean block, started stripping the parts, cleaning, blasting and painting them ready for refit
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0733-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0731
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0782-1

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0780
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0787-1

the fist pile of new parts
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0777-1

and the engine as it stands, with new water pump painted to match the other engine parts, painted bolts and stainless nuts so everythings nice clean and fresh
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0798-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0799-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0800-1

next up is armor the sump, blast and paint that ready to fit once the internals go back in. then can make a start on the head and get ready to mount the new pump and t3 turbo.

so yesterday i pulled the engine out ready to start cleaning the bay out, plans are to have a minimalistic deisel bay, loom tuck and wrap, no header tank, hidden washer bottle and a few other trick bits in the making, big alloy rad and intercooler are being made by a mate too. so will be very different once done.

as for now it looks a little dirty
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0793
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0794-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0795-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0796-1

new interior to come soon too, upgrading from driver grandad spec to some tidy recaros.

cheers for looking and reading all comments welcome.......
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyTue Sep 06 2011, 16:36

Hope your keeping the grille Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyTue Sep 06 2011, 18:55

Nice work joe Thumbs up

What did the block work set you back at cambridge rebores?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 06:24

matty_mk1 wrote:
Hope your keeping the grille Cool

i thought ide keep it for you dude, can swap it for those rectangular lights on yours Thumbs up

CaddyRage wrote:
Nice work joe Thumbs up

What did the block work set you back at cambridge rebores?

cheers man, i think the rehone is something like £8 per bore, £9 per jernal on the crack to polish off the top of my head, and the clean was suppose tobe |£20 but i think i got that free after buying all the parts with them cheers
Back to top Go down
VW Mike
VW Mike

Male Number of posts : 2138
Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 07:03

Did you fit all the bits the right way round? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

Male Number of posts : 1015
Drives : MK1 ABF Bike Carbd, MK1 G60/20vt Project, MK1 Caddy 1.6D
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 08:06

Good work dude, keep the updates coming...
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 08:20

a mk2!!!

ill be keeping an eye on this as it sounds like its gonna be sweet at the end
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 08:51

looking good joe when you putting a cage in it lol
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 12:21

mtdi dont work like that mate :( trust me i tried it on my mk2, 1.9 tdi with a modified TD pump and it was absolutely shite, slower than a standard TDi. You need huge fuel pressures to make a mTDi work.
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 16:34

VW Mike wrote:
Did you fit all the bits the right way round? Wink
havent put anything else on since you was over dude, except getting the stainless bolts for the water pump bracket geek

MK1G60 wrote:
Good work dude, keep the updates coming...
cheers man, will keep updating in blocks to there progress each time

bridgedubber wrote:
a mk2!!!

ill be keeping an eye on this as it sounds like its gonna be sweet at the end

i hope so santa

caddyman wrote:
looking good joe when you putting a cage in it lol

im not now, wont be user friendly with putting wheels inte h back, will have to un wrap my self each time i try to put somethingin the back lol

Tiz wrote:
mtdi dont work like that mate :( trust me i tried it on my mk2, 1.9 tdi with a modified TD pump and it was absolutely shite, slower than a standard TDi. You need huge fuel pressures to make a mTDi work.

bloke on the caddy forum is running one whos gave me all the details, hes been destroying clutches for months and just payed silly money for some crazy piece of metal
Back to top Go down
hoopster

hoopster

Male Number of posts : 630
Drives : mk4 golf
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyWed Sep 07 2011, 17:09

looking good ill keep my eye on this
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 09:54

Tiz wrote:

bloke on the caddy forum is running one whos gave me all the details, hes been destroying clutches for months and just payed silly money for some crazy piece of metal [/quote]

Seen it in action or is he just an internet hero? What details did he give you? You can build a pump to do it but i can assure you its not just a bolt it on jobbie.
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 16:51

Tiz wrote:
Tiz wrote:

bloke on the caddy forum is running one whos gave me all the details, hes been destroying clutches for months and just payed silly money for some crazy piece of metal

Seen it in action or is he just an internet hero? What details did he give you? You can build a pump to do it but i can assure you its not just a bolt it on jobbie.[/quote]

not seen it in action of corse no, he gave me loads, many pms obviously im not going to put them in here as they are mainly questions asked by me and answered by him. i suppose ile find out once my pump arrives and its in the car
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 18:18

whats been done to the pump then?
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 19:41

Tiz wrote:
whats been done to the pump then?

if i tolld you that idea have to kill you, no one wants that I love you
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 21:04

just trying to help lol to make sure it will work cause i did it and built a custom pump and it was s**t couldnt get enough pump pressure without actually using a DI pump off something like a landrover.
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 21:10

i no, i dont want to say i done this this n this and then it work or not work, ide rather try fail or get it working then say, if it doesnt work then ile change the plan
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyThu Sep 08 2011, 21:20

that doesnt make any sense but....keep on truckin'
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyFri Sep 09 2011, 05:07

if you think about it, it makes sense.

big bumper mk2s are gay, but a million times better than a mk4. this car is billybug approved.
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyFri Sep 09 2011, 15:38

billybug wrote:

big bumper mk2s are gay, but a million times better than a mk4. this car is billybug approved.

ha even billy agress

where have you been hiding man? read the thread, its going small bumper yooo
Back to top Go down
69rat

69rat

Male Number of posts : 485
Drives : ratty 69 bug, 88 mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyFri Sep 09 2011, 21:59

billybug approved means nothing. he likes fiat pandas!
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptyFri Sep 09 2011, 23:20

curtis_caddy wrote:
billybug wrote:

ha even billy agress

you know i cant read, i can only look at pictures.

i have been riding all day everyday this summer and never on the computer, but now my leg is in a cast yet again ill be on here more haha
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptySat Sep 10 2011, 15:50

69rat wrote:
billybug approved means nothing. he likes fiat pandas!

whaaat! no way, must be a right chav homo

billybug wrote:
curtis_caddy wrote:
billybug wrote:

ha even billy agress

you know i cant read, i can only look at pictures.

i have been riding all day everyday this summer and never on the computer, but now my leg is in a cast yet again ill be on here more haha

ha you nugget! best get finding some cool us metal for you to play with in those winter months!

went for a long drive last night, met up with spen. lovely bloke, and i swapped some wheel parts for him rms and in return got a minty fresh recaro interior, gave it a bit of a wet vax today, didnt work overly well so need to fix the machine and have another go.

steve popped over and we gutted the car, hoovered under the carpets, carpets only now resting in places as im going to die them so there a bit more fresh looking, door cards in and seats test fitted, i have teh genuine loom for the seats too but not put it in yet, they will go in finaly once the carpets go back in for good after i fitted the pedal box for the hydro clutch.

for now a few pics from today....
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0812-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0813
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0814-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0815
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0817
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptySat Sep 24 2011, 16:30

not updated this in a couple weeks so here goes...its a big one.

so last weekend steve came over, while i got the wheel stand ready for the AF stand for the players show he ripped the loom out for me, took the unwanted crap out the bay and cut the wiring for the "alarm" out.

next up was takling the crappy bay, loads of build up of grime from the last 20 years, so hooked some cleaner out the parts washer and gave it a soaking, then got the pressure washer out and blasted it off. stood it back up the side of the house and steve got to work getting the subframe off.

the loom
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0002-2

"crap pile"
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0003-2

bay....
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0004-3
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0006-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0007-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0008-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0011-6
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0014-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0016-1

and a picture of both the dea wings, great arch mods and nice amount of sealer, and they still pretty much dropped off!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0017-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0018-5

in the week i got the subframe in bits ready to blast then off to the coaters
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0029-2

from this week, thursday friday and saturday (today) me and steve hit hard with out first "the 3 day bay"

DAY 1
blasted seams, all rust gone, and the bottom half smooth stone chipped, unwanted brackets cut and drilled out, lugs etc cut off.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0036-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0037-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0038-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0039-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0040-3
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0041-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0042-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0043-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0044-3
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0045-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0046-2

DAY 2
all the unwanted holes welded up, zinc primed. then out with the filler, couple skims then a whip over with dolphin glaze. primed to keep it all safe for the night and then dabbed seam slear over the lines that we rubbed off with the sand paper and DA, wanted to get a nice original feel to it to made sence.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0049-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0050-3
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0052-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0056-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0069-4
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0075-3

DAY 3
high build primer, flatted to get all the little ends faded out we missed in the dark, was outside til gone 9! primed, wet flatted, wiped down, heater on, 4 coats of paint 2 clear coats. oh and a fly that wanted to join in and landed on a chasis leg, the one place everyone will see!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0076-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0077
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0080-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0081-1
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0086
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0088
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0089
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0090
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0091
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0093

and it was all done in the £16.99 argos special gazibo with a big sheet over the top
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0101
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0100

oh, and all painted with cans!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be DSC_0082-1
Back to top Go down
CustomChris

CustomChris

Male Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be EmptySat Sep 24 2011, 16:49

i nearly popped over today but saw you had that sheet up ha, looking really good and quicker then the caddy engine bay mate !Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be Empty

Back to top Go down

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next