fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TorqueChap

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-04

Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! Empty
PostSubject: Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!   Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! EmptyWed Apr 04 2012, 02:54

Hi All,
Got a 1997 mkIII Golf Wagon with the 2.0L gas engine that came out of Japan and is now driven in the Caribbean. (Car is right-hand drive.)

When I went to cut duplicate keys locally, I learned that the euro version of this car has the immobilizer. Cool feature I want to keep. But I NEED more than one key as we have hurricanes and other threats where having a few extra keys is paramount.

I had extra keys cut but the chips in them don't work with the car. Thought, perhaps, they were the wrong chip. (Car starts for a second with them and then stalls.) Ordered the id33 chips from Germany but still no go. Held them near the copied keys -- still with the non-working chips that came with them still inside -- and the car wouldn't work

1. If I hold the wrong chip AND the right chip near the ignition when I put the key into it, will the car still start? (Trying to rule out false positives, etc.)

2. Is the id33 chip the right chip for a 1997 Euro Golf mkIII?

3. Does the chip need to be programmed in any way? (I do have the chip that came with the car's only key and it does work fine with the immob system.)

Really appreciate the help! VW USA can't comment on the issue because it's a euro car. The North American VW forums can't help because they never got mkIII cars with the immobilizer. My contact in Japan that sold me the car would love to help but we've got a language issue blocking progress despite the best of intentions. Hoping that my fellow enthusiasts across the Pond can help me understand what's wrong and how a solution can be best achieved.

Hurricane season is nearly here and I need to have additional chips that work with the car's immob system.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

PS - I'm with the car for the next 2 weeks and can easily pull numbers, take pics, etc. to help cast insight on this mystery...
Back to top Go down
ra man

ra man

Male Number of posts : 119
Drives : mk2 20v, defender 90, ccm r30, yzf r6
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!   Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! EmptyWed Apr 04 2012, 20:34

yes they need to be programmed to the car by a vw garage
Back to top Go down
TorqueChap

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!   Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! EmptyThu Apr 05 2012, 02:03

ra man wrote:
yes they need to be programmed to the car by a vw garage

Hi Ra Man. There's no VW dealership down here and the one in the U.S. says that they can't do anything since it's a euro car. Do you know which specific machine is required to do the programming? Much obliged Smile
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!   Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! EmptyFri Apr 06 2012, 20:34

Yes, generic vw tool 1552 or 1551
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!   Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Immobilizer Chip: Why Replacements Not Work?!
Page 1 of 1