fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk4 gti water pump

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rossco

rossco

Male Number of posts : 44
Drives : MK4 GOLF GTI
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptySun Sep 09 2012, 17:19

Pretty sure my water pump has gone and was wondering if anyone would recomend someone in the Ely area who could do the replacement at a reasonable rate? I'm new to the Ely area so not had to use a mechanic over here yet so thought I'd ask for someone's advise on here.
Thanks in advance for any information shared
Cheers Ross
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptySun Sep 09 2012, 17:28

Water pump runs off the cambelt mate so your pretty much looking at doing a service.

When was the last belt done cause its common knowledge that you do the pump at the same time
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
rossco

rossco

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptySun Sep 09 2012, 17:51

Been looking at my old invoice for the Cambelt service which I had done last June and there is no mention of the water Pump being replaced. I'm sure I asked for it all to be done at the same time I will be phoning the garage tomorrow, but it's over a year now so I have no leg to stand on if they didn't. The car overheats whilst travelling and the moment i stop the temperature drops back to normal and most forums are saying water pump.
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptySun Sep 09 2012, 21:12

What engine is it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
rossco

rossco

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptyMon Sep 10 2012, 12:30

It's the 1.8 turbo, I've now been pointed in the direction of a very helpful guy in Ely who's quoted me a reasonable price to do the water pump and put a new Cambelt on too whilst he's at it (thought I might as well as he'll be having the old one off)
Back to top Go down
Haz

Haz

Number of posts : 86
Drives : Mk3VR, Ibiza20vt, G40.
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptyWed Sep 26 2012, 16:56

I have an AYP 1.8t and there are two types of water pump a plastic impeller and a steel one so go for the metal one if you have the option, my plastic one came out in halves after 30000 miles the metal one is still going strong at 60000 later!
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump EmptyFri Mar 08 2013, 14:50

TBH I'd look at the thermostat first before piling straight in on the water pump.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but cant you see the w/p impeller when you remove the thermostat ?

That would be the first place I'd look.

Oh and buy a genuine water pump, the others generally dont fit all that well for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mk4 gti water pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk4 gti water pump   Mk4 gti water pump Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk4 gti water pump
Page 1 of 1