fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VW Polo 1.4 will not start

Go down 
+5
Tiz
WeFoundThePark
Lupton_20vt
Maizetina
Amen52
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Amen52

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-02-11

VW Polo 1.4 will not start Empty
PostSubject: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyThu Feb 11 2010, 21:06

Hello
I am hoping to purchase a secondhand 1999 VW Polo 1.4, petrol, manual for my son to drive.
When we went to look at the car it would not start. The engine fires perfectly, runs for 2 to 4 seconds and then stops.
Sounds to me like a problem with the engine management system and could be a crankshaft position sensor or crankshaft speed sensor problem.
I do not know the VW engine system.
Has any one had similar problems?
Can any one advise me when any sensors are located?
I welcome any advice before I purchase this car. The current owner seems happy to let it sit outside his house.

Sorry to say this but all the VW main dealer would say was to have the car recovered to them and they would fix it. Not the response I was looking for.

Hope some one can help.
Back to top Go down
Maizetina

Male Number of posts : 88
Drives : 51 beetle and a B6 passat Tdi,and a 100e ford pop
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyThu Feb 11 2010, 21:30

Has the fuel filter been changed lately,its above the rear axle.
its cured my starting problems on my 1.4.
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyThu Feb 11 2010, 23:33

sounds fuel related, when was it last serviced? How long had it stood petrol only really has a life of about 3 months.

p.s get yourself in the introduction section too VW Polo 1.4 will not start 680462
Back to top Go down
WeFoundThePark

Male Number of posts : 425
Drives : Low. Parks: Just as Low.
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 00:08

is the vehicle fitted with an immobiliser? does the immobiliser light flash?

how did the vehicle stop running? whilst driving or just wouldnt start one morning?

has the battery been flat?

when the vehicle runs for the 2 - 4 seconds are there any engine lights on the dash? does it restart straight after it dies or do you have to cycle the ignition and wait?

do you know the engine number?
Back to top Go down
http://www.betrayyourprinciples.co.uk/
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 07:57

Lupton_20vt wrote:
How long had it stood petrol only really has a life of about 3 months.

who the f**k told you that lol
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 08:37

Tiz wrote:
Lupton_20vt wrote:

it takes aloooot longer than 3 months, my beetle had petrol in it that was over 2 years old, when it was back on the road it did run like s**t and also failed the m.o.t on emissions but it still ran.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 09:00

When you start it does it idle then die or just start then die ?

If it just starts and dies it indicates that the immobiliser isn't picking up the transponder in the key (open key up and see if there is one in it (little black thing a bit bigger than 2 grains of rice) )

Try stripping down the column cowling, around the key there is a pick up. put the transponder on the pick up and it should start , if it does then you need a new pick up ring ( about £30 from VW)

If on the other hand, if it runs and idles then dies, it could be many things.
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 09:48

Tiz wrote:
Lupton_20vt wrote:

Some bloke i used to ride with iirc. Stangely my kx will only start on fresh fuel VW Polo 1.4 will not start Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 10:14

Lupton_20vt wrote:

Stangely my kx will only start on fresh fuel VW Polo 1.4 will not start Icon_scratch

If its pre mix tt then its cos the oil has sunk to the bottom of the carb and oiled up, same as with the tank.

We have this issue with the boys go-karts which is why we always drain it down after use.

I've known cars start on stale petrol thats six or seven years old, chuck some freah in on top and its good to go.
It will rot out the fuel pump eventually if left long enough.
Back to top Go down
Amen52

PostSubject: Thanks for information on Polo   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 19:15

Thanks to every one who has supplied comments.
I am sure it is not old fuel, petrol has a long shelf life.
I thought about an immobiliser but the owner said the car did not have one, but the problem fits the mode of failure.
The car starts, runs for the few seconds and then stops dead. You have to key off and then key on and it works again.
I will go back tomorrow and check the key. The car has central locking, the owner used the key to unlock the door not a blip.
Will report back.
Regards

Amen52 wrote:
Hello
I am hoping to purchase a secondhand 1999 VW Polo 1.4, petrol, manual for my son to drive.
When we went to look at the car it would not start. The engine fires perfectly, runs for 2 to 4 seconds and then stops.
Sounds to me like a problem with the engine management system and could be a crankshaft position sensor or crankshaft speed sensor problem.
I do not know the VW engine system.
Has any one had similar problems?
Can any one advise me when any sensors are located?
I welcome any advice before I purchase this car. The current owner seems happy to let it sit outside his house.

Sorry to say this but all the VW main dealer would say was to have the car recovered to them and they would fix it. Not the response I was looking for.

Hope some one can help.
Back to top Go down
Ian83

Ian83

Male Number of posts : 493
Drives : Mk4 GTi
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyFri Feb 12 2010, 19:46

Sounds to me most likely immobilizer fault. Most VW from about 98 onwards have one fitted but people think just cos they have a normal looking key and nothing like remote locking it doesn't have one!

Easiest way is to check the dash when you switch on for a symbol that looks like a car with a key as the bottom half
Back to top Go down
Amen52

PostSubject: Polo 1.4 Will not start - the solution   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptySun Feb 14 2010, 20:08

Thank you all for the help you have given me. I have spoken to the seller of the car and he has found the fault is the immobiliser, after he told me it did not have one!!!

One thing that was interesting that came out of it - to reset the immobiliser switch the ignition on and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Don't try starting the car. After the 20 minutes the car started and drove fine. Once the ignition was switched off and the car left for a while it would not start again, unless you switched the ignition on and left it for another 20 minutes. The car was able to be restarted immediately without problems.

I thought this was very useful information for anyone having problems with faulty immobilisers and needed to get the car to a dealer/auto electrician.
Back to top Go down
Tony427

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start EmptyThu Apr 05 2012, 20:38

Hi , I joined this forum just to say thanks for the information in the thread.

The battery in my daughters 1999 1.4 Polo failed and after I replaced it the car would only run for two or three seconds.

I did a google search, this thread came up, I checked all the connections on the immobiliser circuit, a liberal dose of WD40 on the pins and the connectors and the car started working again as perfectly as before.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Tony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VW Polo 1.4 will not start   VW Polo 1.4 will not start Empty

Back to top Go down

VW Polo 1.4 will not start
Page 1 of 1